Thursday, March 1, 2012

So many books, so little time.......

I always seem to have a "to be read" stack of books sitting on my shelf and often have two or three books going at once. Of course, the Read-a-book Ball provides a great excuse to find something new, so I polled Fishtrap's Board and staff to see what these literary-minded folks have been reading. As the Ball approaches (and probably afterward) I'll share some recommendations with you, but be warned! After reading these suggestions, I now have two "to be read" stacks!

Here's what Fishtrap Board President Nick Lunde had to say:

I'm just finishing "The Warmth of Other Suns" by Isabel Wilkerson. it is the story of America's black migration from the south to cities in the north and west during Jim Crow, from about 1915 through 1970. It is incredibly well-resear
ched, but more than that the writing is an exquisite piece of narrative nonfiction. She chronicles the lives of three migrants who left the south in different decades, while weaving in important histo
rical events with pacing and skill that is truly stunning. Wilkerson conducted around 1,000 interviews to collect stories before writing the book. It won the National Book
Critics Circle Award for nonfiction. A very significant read in my opinion.

Thanks, Nick!

No comments: